Sunday, September 9, 2018

Time to Build an Ark?


 The rain started on Friday afternoon and this is the gauge on Sunday morning.  I dumped it out.  Another inch expected during the day.  It puts a bit of a crimp on my outdoor activities.
Doesn't seem to bother the goldfinches much.  I'm also seeing the turkeys put in the fields in the middle of these downpours.
 Joan has a lady's luncheon coming up and wanted some table decorations.  So I pulled on my rubber boots and headed out during a short pause in the rain.
 The patch is so dense this year I can't navigate thru it without tromping on vines.
 I pretty much worked around the edges and got her some table decorations.
 No sign of algae in the pond now - but probably a fresh flush of fertilizer washed in.
New main field plot is up.  This is the one right in front of the stand.
It appears to have the expected brassica and oat mix.
 The long plot in the main field also showing green.  It is supposed to be clover.
 I'm seeing a lot of stuff that looks like warm season annual weeds (galinsoga, pigweed, ragweed, etc).  This one not looking too good.
 I just planted this one a week ago - not much showing.  But I didn't get that seed bed prepared to my normal standards.
 EGADS! A Two-Headed Deer!
I mowed a strip in the center of this sunflower (and weed) planting. It has been attracting attention.

The turkeys seem to like it.
 But there is conflict over it.
 A typical menagerie. Skunk.
Groundhog.
 Neighborhood dog.
The bucks appear to have shed their velvet.
 We started early on next year's western hunt.  I usually use this booking agent to find reliable outfitters.  Hunt Nation

We decided to try a combo hunt for mule deer and antelope.  This is the one we booked for 2019.  #38 Wyoming mule deer and antelope combo
 It won't be long until this year's western hunt.  We're doing an elk hunt in Montana but the tag also allows us to take a deer.  2018 Montana Elk Hunt

 I sense disappointment from the deer in this year's apple crop.
Junior still in velvet on the 3rd.
Also the 10.
 Doe/fawn gallery.
 122 shots on one camera looking at this salt block.  9 shots from the other camera.

Strong showing from the turkeys.

 Our dog, Chloe, scared eight turkeys in the orchard this morning.



And the coyotes too.


She says "where are the apples?"
I won't be tractoring this week. It would only make ruts.
Fighting a losing battle with grass in this clover plot.

I cleaned the barn.  Ran the machines that haven't been run in awhile.  Shot the laser targets. I think that I'll give up and take a nap.  Another 3/4" in the rain gauge so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment