Sunday, July 31, 2022

Foiled Again By Rain

It was predicted to be a beautiful weekend with highs around 80 and no rain.  Saturday lived up to that forecast but the ground was a bit wet from 1" of rain earlier in the week. I deferred the tilling in the pumpkin plot until Sunday to give it a chance to dry a bit more.  Lots of other stuff needed attention. When I got up Sunday it was raining and continued to do so for 4 hours.

Saturday I got a little weed-eating done around the plot.
Most plants look pretty healthy at this point.
Including the weeds.
I did a little harvesting and had this damage on one squash. What would do that? A bird?  Turkey or crow?
Getting a reasonable amount of zucchini at this point.
A few watermelon plants seem to have survived and there are even tiny little fruits showing up.
In my soybean plot, I'm seeing some germination and I'm hoping it is the brassica.
My spraying before planting must have been spotty - still have some weed patches.
In the other plots, I got a decent kill on the grass that had taken over. I gave it another shot to get the remaining green.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get to bare ground for planting.
We're planning to extent the driveway into a roundabout with a parking spot for a certain RV that visits on occasion.
Seeing my first monarchs.
There have been lots of swallowtails around - various colors.
Joan made homemade peach ice cream - yum.
Sunday morning.  Continuous rain for 4 hours.  The gauge only showed 0.3" but it seemed like more.
Some new tools added to the inventory - a battery weed-eater and a battery tree pruner (chainsaw).
I did a bunch more spraying this week.  Both "burn down" spraying on plots to be planted for fall and also weed control on existing clover plots.
I'm pretty ignorant on birds - any idea what this is?  I tried Google Lens and it came up with kite.  Seems improbable based on what I read.  (In the comments, Steve identified it as a magpie.)
The geese were back again this week.
Might be a showdown brewing.
I think the turkeys are getting ready to defend their turf.
Doing practice drills before invasion.
Advance party scouting.





I think this was D-Day.
Ran the invaders out.
Saved the land for the next generation.
I flushed a fawn while spraying the one field.

Twins.





Twins again.
Fox.

Coyotes.
Fox again.



And the bucks are progressing nicely.

1 comment: