Saturday, November 10, 2012

Friday & Saturday Hunt, Trailcams, Etc

Joan went to Florida to visit with Karen, Kristen, and Kayla.  I made it to the farm on Friday afternoon, checked the cameras and then made into the driveway stand.  I could hear movement in the woods for over an hour before sunset.  Just after sunset, several does ran out and they were followed shortly by this buck (it's an earlier trailcam picture of him).
He is a nice 10 point and he looked big - his neck was all swelled up and he was chasing does.  He stopped about 50 yards from my stand but it didn't look like he was going to come back in range.  I grunted at him and he stopped and stared.  Then the does took off for the main field and he followed.
This "browbeast" showed up on the camera that I put on the scrape - right by the driveway stand.
Another buck visiting the scrape.

On Saturday morning, I hunted the ladder stand by the barn and I didn't see a thing.

During the day Saturday, I decided to try out the new smoker from Aunt Karen. I got a pork shoulder and used both a rub and a mop. I also decided to make some jerky in the dehydrator at the same time.




Here's Kayla in Joan's arms - looks like a future hunter to me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
I hunted from this hanging stand on Saturday night.  It was 70 degrees and sunny.  The squirrels and chipmunks were active. Six turkeys came by and I thought about taking a shot.  I watched one fly up to the roost.  Three does finally came up the atv trail.  The lead doe stopped directly beside (downwind) of me and she sounded the alarm - honking and flashing her tail before bounding off.  I was very careful on scent control - scent free shower, clothes from scent bag, spray - didn't matter - I was busted.


This was a test to see if you are paying attention.
Turkey in foreground - deer in background.

Hi there.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment