Saturday, January 4, 2014

Muzzleloader - Day 1

 The season is Sat to Tue.  It's been very cold but warmed up on Saturday. By Sunday, it is supposed to start changing and Mon- Tue is not going to be fit for deer or humans.
 Dave and I arrived Friday night.  I got my TC Encore out of the safe and it would not break open.  I fooled with it until 1:00am but gave up and went to bed.  I used my old gun instead.  Something weird going on with the latch/trigger interlock on my Encore.
 Saturday morning was pretty but cold - I went to the barn stand. Dave went to the driveway.
 It was chilly at sunrise but not much wind and it didn't feel too bad.
 Nothing was moving so I sat until about 9:00 and then went for a walk.  The deer had been digging thru the snow over night.
There were lots of deer tracks and you could clearly tell which were bucks.
 I followed this set of buck tracks from the barn stand, past the pond stand and into the woods.
 A nice sunny morning.
 I checked a few of the cameras - this one wasn't doing much good.
 Amy made us banana bread which really hit the spot.
 Mid-day I went to the hanging stand.  I wasn't comfortable sitting there so I got down for a walk.  There were a couple small does out in the fields in the middle of the day.  Dave sat in the ladder and didn't see anything.
 For the evening, I sat in the hi-rise at the pond and Dave did the main field.  Does started coming out at 4:30.
 I saw 3 does and a button buck.  Dave saw about 10 does, a spike and, after dark, a marginal 8 point.
 It was a beautiful evening but the bucks weren't showing themselves.
 We had elk burgers for dinner.
 I only checked 4 cameras but there was a little action on them.
 Hard to see this nice buck near the barn field.
Another one at the pond.



 Coyote.
 Fox.
 Neighbor's Lab.
 Me doing chores last week - clearing trails.


Dave and I will hunt tomorrow ahead of the storm - hope that gets the deer moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment