Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Season Ends!

After the morning hunt, Dave and I ate breakfast and he got on the road back to Northern Indiana.  He was racing the winter storm that was headed our way.  The weather got nicer than predicted at the farm when the sun came out and temps got up to 50.  I headed back out to the main hi-rise at about 2:00.
 The snow pretty much melted off the fields and exposed the clover/turnips.  With the barometer changing, the storm coming in, and the food exposed, I expected a lot of deer in the fields.
 Although there are two more days in the m/l season, I decided this would be my last hunt.  The storm coming in was going to produce below zero temps during the day with 25 mph winds.  Wind chill factors were predicted to be -25F.
 The radar looked ominous but it was actually quite pleasant until about 4:30.  That's when the wind started picking up and some rain sprinkles started to fall.
 I had one little doe come in but she only stayed about 2 minutes.  The wind and rain got progressively worse and there was no deer movement by dark.  I packed up and drove home in the rain.  After I got home, the rain turned to snow and the temps started to dive.
I was lucky.  Dave sent me this photo of his drive north of Indianapolis.  He hit the brunt of the storm and almost didn't get home.  When he got near his house, he had to pull one car out of a ditch to clear the road.  When he entered his subdivision, he had 4' drifts on his road and barely got his F150 to his driveway (even in 4x4 low).

I'm making another run to the airport tomorrow with Amy and Lucy.  They are making their 4th attempt to get a flight home.  Temps are forecast to be -8F at flight time.

No comments:

Post a Comment