Sunday, January 12, 2014

Ok, One More Try

The weather was reasonable on Saturday afternoon (high 40's) and there had been some interesting shots on the trailcams, so I decided to give archery another try.  It's open until Feb. 1. 

I sat in the driveway stand and had lots to watch for a couple of hours.  First 4 does came thru the field on the way up to the turnips.  Then a lone doe did the same thing.  Then a couple more showed up in the turnips.  Eventually I ended up with 11 does out within sight.  At dark, two were up in the main field and I had 9 in front of me in the driveway field.  They were very skittish.  I had put some old apples from the barn fridge in the field and it might have been that scent that caused the nervousness.  I never took a shot although I had about talked myself into taking a doe (versus waiting for the buck).  The opportunity passed.
This might be the buck that I saw in the turnips a couple weeks ago. 
He likes this licking branch over a field edge scrape.  It is right by the driveway stand. These two shots were 2 minutes apart.
This is 4 days later. 
I think this is a different buck - not sure. 

This 4 x 0 buck has been showing up for a couple weeks.  I don't believe that it is an early shed or the one side would not have stayed so long.  My guess is he lost one side in a fight. 
He showed up numerous times at different cameras. 
One sided. 
This six point was curious. 

He doesn't look very well nourished in this shot of his neck. 
 
Button buck or already shed? 
The does remain active. 

Coyotes on the prowl. 
Poop of the week.  There are a lot of these buck bombs in the fields. 
Here I am spreading some of the left over farm apples. 

There are still plenty of turnip bulbs and all of the deer made a stop in that field. 
During M/L last weekend. 
I'm sending my Encore back to the factory for repair/check up.

No comments:

Post a Comment