Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Change of Pace

No farm this weekend - we went to spend the weekend with my Mom and Dad in Pittsburgh.

My parents are sponsors of the Pittsburgh Symphony and they invited Joan and I to attend the seasoning opening gala with them.  A little bit different than my normal Saturday evening in Pike County.  Joan is usually happy if she can get me to take my muddy boots off.
They also invited us to join them at their club in Ligonier PA.  It is a beautiful part of the country in the Allegheny Mountains.
My sister Sue and her husband John also joined us and we all stayed in this cabin on the club grounds.
It was pretty cozy and was located between the clubhouse, the golf course and an apple orchard.
John and I shot 3 rounds of skeet.  I failed to get any pictures.  It was not a very skillful display.  The high round was 11 out of 25.  But we had fun. First time shooting skeet in about 10 years for me and first time ever for John.
John and I also took a walk down the driveway to the orchard.  There were deer out everywhere and they were not too wary of humans.  The girls found the Lennox outlet for some shopping.
 Doe and fawn.
A couple of deer under the apple trees.
One of them was a spike buck.  They also came right up to the veranda at the clubhouse where we had dinner.
This water feature was right beside the orchard.
John checking out the view right below the waterfall.
On the other side of the cabin was one of the golf holes.
The next morning John and I went down to the stream for some fly-fishing.  It was a chilly morning - 48F.
View up the stream from the bridge. While we were fishing, everyone else went over to the Flight 93 Memorial.
I fished for about 3 hours before heading toward Ohio.  The water was low and clear.  I could see tons of fish.  I only landed this one brook trout.
 This is an example of a pool that probably held 50 trout.
 Both John and I managed to hook a number of trees and bushes.  Of course I only have photos of him in the retrieval process.
The fish had just "turned on" as I was leaving.  I watched John catch three in a row.
 This one would put a smile on anyone's face.
Released to fight another day.

A little different way to enjoy nature than at my farm - but certainly a spectacular one.  Thanks Mom and Dad for inviting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment