Sunday, July 29, 2018

Laura and Alex Go Country


 Laura drove Alex out to attend a skating camp at Miami University in Oxford.  When the camp concluded we adjourned to the farm.  Laura liked the zero turn.
 Alex was an able farm hand - helping with the harvest.
 I think that I planted some delicata squash. I thought that's what these yellow bumpy things were.  Upon further review, these ornamental gourds were harvested too early.  But the zucchini is doing well.
 The Ranger throttle (idle) issues were solved this week. I don't really know what was done.  I read about issues with the IAC - maybe that was it.
The sunflowers are close with a few of them blooming.
 Alex found this turtle remnant.  The shell was broken in half and the turtle body is long gone.  I don't think that a predator would do that.  My theory is the brush-hog got it and the scavengers have cleaned it out.
 The pond has not improved.
Still lots of butterflies. We've been seeing monarchs, swallowtails, and others that I can't identify.  There was a hummingbird at the dining room window this morning.
The one foodplot that I planted in a legume mix has some beans and peas showing.  But it has a lot more Johnson grass and pigweed.
 I decided it was time to go.  I'll prep it for a fall planting.
 When mowing it, a buck stood up 10 yards in front of the tractor and ran out of the field.
 The weeds were well fed and happy.
 Sunflower strip in the main field.
 Next week should be prime time.
 Just enough rain last week.
 The pumpkin patch is happy right now.  I got the rototiller out but there weren't a lot of places where it could go.
 The vines are running,  Now it's down to hand weeding and this is where I lose the race.
 Not much evidence left of that deer block that I put out last week.
Touring.  Alex wasn't impressed with the cobwebs in the woods.



 We toured again Sunday so there will be more shots on the cards next week.
 What happened to the block?  First the crows came.
 Then turkeys.
The deer did get some.
And the groundhog.
Turkeys again.
Mom and fawn.
 Coyotes are out and about.



 Wonder what spooked her?
Bachelor party.
Mutant Jr.
Fawn back there.


 These are sunflowers too.





And a possum.

No comments:

Post a Comment