Sunday, March 8, 2020

A Taste of Spring

While the world is dealing with Covid-19 virus, we're having a taste of spring weather.  I stayed in Mason this weekend and didn't make it to the farm.  We have crocus blooming in the yard.
In order to get my steps in on Saturday, I went for a walk at VOA park with Chloe, our 11 1/2 year old nudge/lapdog.  She made it 3 miles with me but Joan thought that she probably had enough.
So on Sunday, I went on a walk by myself at the Little Miami Scenic Trail.  Trail Map  It's an old Railroad bed along the Little Miami River that has been converted into a biking/walking/running trail.
I only did a short section starting at The Monkey Bar Monkey Bar  It's where Socialville Foster Road hits the river.  I followed it upstream to the next road crossing which is basically Kings Mill Road (Grandin Road).  Round trip it was a nice 5 mile stroll and the weather was beautiful.  Sunny and a high of 62.
At Grandin Road, I encountered this historic ammunition factory.
It has been abandoned and a superfund site but it is now being redeveloped into apartments, commercial space and a brewery.
First you see the smokestack and tower.  The tower was used to make lead shot (for shotgun shells) by dropping molten lead down the tower and it would solidify by the bottom.  That whole hillside has been planted in trees - those are protective white sleeves.  I wonder if they removed lead contaminated soil...
The rehab is well underway.
I believe that the building on the right is going to be the Cartridge Brewing Company.
In the area along the trail near the development, a nature walk area has been set up with these sign boards.




Lots of Sycamores along the river.  I only did about 2.5 miles of this 50 mile long park.  And I think it actually connects to other parks making the entire trail network much bigger.  More for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment