Sunday, May 16, 2021

5th Wheel Visitors

Our son Eric upgraded his RV from a bumper hitch to 5th wheel variety.  He also upgraded from Ford  Expedition to F350.  He was in need of a "shake out" trip so he and grandson Tommy ran down for a short visit..

It was a perfect weather weekend.
And having the RV was wonderful when the plumbing in the cabin backed up.  We're still waiting for Roto-rooter (and it's been two days).
This RV is luxury living and now my wife is making noises like we need one of these things. Interesting hitch that pivots in either of two places.
Forrest Gump on a zero-turn was at it again.  She felt so bad about my cherry tree that she ordered me a replacement for the one that she decapitated.
So I got it planted.  It has three varieties grafted on it.
And the cicada protection.  They are late emerging this year.  Overdue.  See comment at end for helpful info from Steve - this brood of cicadas doesn't come this far east.
While she was out mowing, she found this dead copperhead on the driveway.  She says she didn't run over it - I wonder if I did with the truck on the way in. No obvious external injuries. Another helpful comment from Steve - milksnake not copperhead.
It was between 2' and 3' long.
I'm not sure why I thought it was a good idea to hang it in a tree.  But I did.
Tommy approved of the decision.
The next day, it was gone and I rousted this turkey vulture from the area when I went to check on it.
Tommy was pretty intent on fishing and we spent a fair amount of time at the pond.
We  had to dig our own worms because I forgot to buy bait.  He caught one tiny and one extra large bluegill.  The water was really muddy.
Meanwhile, others were hanging out on the porch.
And we had some Grandma assisted reading.
Tommy and I hiked and looked for morels (no luck but we found pricker bushes). 
And, of course, some Ranger rides.


Tommy riding his own Ranger to and from fishing.  Tommy on little Ranger Video
He can climb hills (as long as there are no prickers).



I think that I'm seeing some effect of the spraying last week on the thistles.
We had a hen come in and visit us at the bird feeders.  Turkey Hen Visit  Also cardinals, doves, goldfinches, sparrows, cowbirds, red bellied woodpeckers, etc.



This gray fox seemed to be around this week.

And always the coyotes.
But the turkeys seem to survive.
The Three Amigo jakes.



Coyotes.
Does are looking very pregnant - about a month to go.

I wonder what is special about this oak.
Starting to see some antler.





1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tom. Brood X cicadas normally don’t occur this far east of Cincinnati. Look for cicadas in 2025 when Brood XIV emerges. The last two emergence dates for Brood XIV in Peebles are May 10, 1991 and May 24, 2008.
    The snake is a Milk Snake. The Y pattern on its back just behind the head is typical for this species. It is a mouse eater.

    ReplyDelete