Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The First Kill

It rained all day today and is still raining into the night.  Probably a couple inches of rain.  Kristen shot a doe at about 4:00 during a short break in the downpours.


Kristen made a good shot on this doe at about 40 yards.  It took a few hops out of the field and then went over.  Eventually it field dressed at 84.6 pounds (new digital scale).

I went to stand at about 1:00 in a pouring rain.  It pretty much rained all afternoon with a few pauses.  Almost immediately a forkhorn 4 point came out into the field.  This small buck basically was in and out of the field for the next 4 hours.  He was joined by a small doe at one point.  This picture is from my phone.

With about 15 minutes of light left, I was sitting and watching the fields to the left, right and straight ahead.  I decided to turn my head to look behind me and there was a buck standing 25 yards away looking up at the stand.  He was a very tall racked 8 point and was definitely a shooter.  He saw my head move and was on his way before I could even reach for my gun.  At least one buck now has the high rise stand figured out.

Leo saw two bucks move into the main field.  He thought that one of them was a shooter but he didn't get a chance.  I don't know where the does were tonight but it was nice to see some bucks.

It continues to pour buckets of rain and it is supposed to go down into the 20's over night.  Maybe that will make for good hunting in the morning.

Kristen is currently the king of the camp and she isn't gloating (too much).

No comments:

Post a Comment