Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hunting Report & Misc Stuff

It was a nice week to be in the woods but the deer didn't seem to be moving at all.  On Wednesday, I got an afternoon in the woods in Kentucky.  I rarely get to rifle hunt and I was really looking forward to an opportunity to hunt with my 30-06.  I went down to Marc/Irish's property and had a really nice afternoon sit in a stand.  It seemed perfect but I never saw a deer.

This weekend was pretty much the same at the farm.  I hunted Saturday evening from the turkey blind in the orchard.  Beautiful afternoon but never saw a deer.  I saw some sort of raptor hunting the main field - I think it was an immature harrier.  On Sunday morning, I hunted from the barn stand over a great stand of clover - never saw a deer.

Dave was out this weekend and he didn't see a deer on Saturday evening.  On Sunday morning, he hunted the ladder stand across the main field and he did see a 6 point buck.

I think that the peak of the rut has passed and the deer movement has slowed down considerably.  It was also unseasonably warm this weekend which didn't help.

Last weekend I sighted in my TC Encore and my 30-06.  They were both shooting great.  I also tried to sight in my old TC for Kristen.  It was shooting randomly and I just put it away last week.  This week I got it back out and Dave and I worked on it again.  It took some doing since I had to change loads but we ended the day with me putting two rounds thru the same hole at 100 yards.  I think that it's ready for Kristen.

Dave and I did a little target shooting.  My Iphone isn't quite the same as Eric's camera but you get the idea.
Dave was shooting about like Creigh - all in the heart at 25 yards.
Some of these are my arrows too - I was definitely shooting better this week.
We got about 3/4" of rain last week - still definitely in a deficit for the season.  The pond is still low.
Here's a season's record.  It was pretty good thru July and then just pretty much stopped.
I took a set of photos from the barn stand to cover the 360 degree view.  This was about 8:00 this morning when nothing was moving.  The clover in this field is pretty good this year.

 This is a new shooting lane out the left side of the stand.
ATV trail out the back of the stand.
Right side/back of the stand.
Right side.
I turned the stool over and found these wasp nests.  I'm sure I cleaned these out a couple of weeks ago.
These trees caught my eye this week on my morning walk.  Not sure what they are - ash?

I keep finding this poop in the most unusual places.  This is on a pricker bush in the middle of the driveway 25 yards from the barn.  I also found a huge pile of it on top of a big ant hill.  This is the "black rasberry" or "caviar" variety.
Here's another pile in the middle of an atv trail right by the ladder stand.  Somebody marking territory?  Raccon?  Possum?  Fox?  They are substantial piles and appear to be an all berry diet.  Need a poop expert to pass judgement.
Syndey wandered in front of a camera at some point.  She didn't get out for a run this weekend since it was youth gun weekend.  I don't expect any trespassers but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment