Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hunting report and Misc Stuff

Joan and I arrived at the farm right at sundown on Friday night.  We pushed about 12 deer out of the main field as we drove down the driveway.  I hunted the turkey blind on Saturday morning and only saw one deer - a 7 point buck crossed thru the field.
I'm pretty sure that this is the guy.














On Saturday evening, I hunted the driveway stand and only saw one deer.  A young buck that looked like a 6 point (no brow tines) came out for about the last hour of daylight. 

On Sunday morning, I hunted the box stand in the barn field.  I never saw a deer.  I tried rattling and I heard movement in the woods almost immediately.  It sounded like a deer moving around the woods edge looking into the field but I never saw him.  I went into the cabin, sat down with Joan and Eric to look at honeymoon pictures, and a huge buck crossed the field directly in front of the stand.  My guess is that it was the 12 point "backwards buck" but I couldn't see him that clearly.

It seems that the major chasing phase of the rut is over.  The activity has definitely slowed down from last week.  But it was amazing to see that huge buck cross the field in daylight (9:45am).

Sunrise Saturday morning.
Poop of the week - the black rasberry variety.  Possum?
This kind of tree damage is everywhere.
The soybeans are no longer green.  The frost did in the last of the leaves.
 But there are still beans hanging ont the dead stalks.
 The brassica by the driveway stand barely got out out of the ground this year.
The deer leave a little fur on the barbed wire where they cross it.
This is a well fed dog pile - easily distinguished from the coyote stuff.  Thanks Leo.
More of the caviar poop.
The fleet was out in anticipation of Eric and Creigh.
Here I am touring with the ladies (Joan, Jeni and Pam).  This is why I decided to shim the camera a little higher.  We had great weather on Saturday - a little cooler on Sunday.

1 comment: