Sunday, August 14, 2011

Garden and Foodplots

It's a good thing that we don't have to live on what I grow.  Here's this week's harvest - a couple zuchinni and some beans.
I mostly reclaimed this row of beans from the weeds.
This is another row of beans - don't have a clue why I planted so many beans.
Several of the zuchinni plants have some sort of rot in the stem.  Not sure if it's bugs or disease.  At this point, they're still producing.
These plants have kept me confused.  I wasn't sure what they were.  I have concluded that they are the super sized pumpkins.  I got the seeds from Grant Scheessele last year for my birthday.  They look healthy but they are growing much slower than the other pumpkins  We'll see if we get some of those monster pumpkins.
These are watermelons and I'm pretty sure that I got these seeds from Graham Scheessele.  I haven't had alot of success with watermelons but maybe this year I will.
 Even more beans.























Some cantalope melons.  Last year they got to about this stage and then rotted.
My specialty - pumpkins.  I have about 1 acre of them in 5 different varieties.  They are generally doing quite well so far this year.

 I'm just starting to get some brown leaves.  Today I sprayed for fungus for the first time this year.  I'm a little behind schedule on spraying (and weeding, mowing, plowing etc).
Of the 5 varieties of pumpkins, one of them is already producing some nice sized fruit.

Some of the mold/fungus?

 Most of the varieties are just blooming.  I noticed quite a few bloom buds have been eaten - I assume by the deer.  There's still no shortage of blooms.


It was a nice sunrise this morning - didn't photograph all that well.
The soybeans in the driveway stand - it is amazing that the deer just mow this field at a uniform height (by munching on it).
I planted black oil sunflowers this year.  They should be at the peak of their blooming next week.  They aren't quite as tall as the striped sunflowers that I planted last year and the flower heads don't get quite as large.  But the wildlife really prefer this variety.
I cut Joan some flowers, wrapped them up carefully and put them in the car to bring home.  Sydney found them during the drive and started eating them.  Had to make an emergency stop on the side of the road to rescue the flowers.  Partially successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment