Sunday, August 28, 2011

Shooting the 30-06 for Utah

I've been trying to improve my shooting in anticipation of my elk hunting trip to Utah in September.  I'm shooting a Browning A-Bolt that has a muzzlebrake (called a BOSS).  I wasn't sure that I had it tuned optimally so I set up to do it again.  My 100 yard shooting bench is in disrepair so I set up to shoot prone from 72 yards (it was a convenient spot on the edge of the pond).
I marked paper with crosshairs for each setting on the BOSS and I shot a group of three off of bags.  My best groups were around 3 and 6 so I experimented with a couple more groups at 3.5 and 6.5.  Finally, I concluded 6.5 was my best setting.  I had been shooting at 4 previously.
At the 6.5 setting from 72 yards off of bags, I shot about a 1" group.  I don't think that's great but it is respectable.
Then I moved back to 100 yards and shot a group of 6 off of sticks.  5 of them were pretty good but one was a flier.

Incidentally, there was a left to right wind during this whole process - I think that's why all the groups were to the right of center.

Then I moved back to 190 yards and shot another group off of sticks.  It was about a 6" group - not so great.  More work needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment