Saturday, October 20, 2012

New Mexico Elk Hunt - First Morning


Dave and I flew to Albuquerque NM and drove 3 hours up to Pie Town.  I'm hunting elk with Tuffy Barnett of Mangas Outfitters.  Dave is along as an observer and also hopes to do a little coyote hunting if I tag out early. 


 

After we arrived, we sighted in our guns.  Due to the elevation (7500ft), I was off a little bit and we reset the muzzleloader.  My hold-over circles are now at 150, 200, 250, and 300.  This is Dave sighting in the 223.
This is Tuffy's lodge - pretty nice.  Dave and I are the only hunters in camp this week.  We have Tuffy and Matt guiding for us.  
Sunrise Saturday morning.  We drove about 15 minutes to where we hunted.  We walked in less than 1/2 mile and spotted 20+ elk including 3 bulls.  One was bigger than the one on my wall but Tuffy thinks we can do better.
The terrain is great.  It's almost level where we hunted with scattered small juniper or cedar trees.  It's easy to walk and you have great visibility.  The air is a little thin but not too bad so far.  Shortly after taking this picture, we spotted a coyote about 80 yards behind me.  It looks like we'll hunt about 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening so I should have time to update the blog.  The one bull that I saw this morning at 380 yards looked huge.  He was standing in the shade but his rack was in the sun and it looked tall.  Tuffy says it wasn't much bigger than the elk I shot in Utah.  About 30 degrees this morning and up to mid 70's during the day.





We had great baby news as we were travelling.  Kristen and Leo's daughter, Kayla, came home from the hospital yesterday after several weeks of complications. 

 
Dave's sister Sarah gave birth to Hans.
 Congratulations to Kristen & Leo and Sarah & Pierce.

No comments:

Post a Comment